The first treadmill was invented in the year 1818 by an English engineer, Sir William Cubit, who noted the idle prisoners in a prison yard. He proposed using their muscle power to both cure their idleness and produce useful work.
Treadmill is a device generally used for walking or running while staying at a particular place. It is one of the popular types of exercise equipment that provides a straight forward, efficient aerobic workout. Treadmill is a very good choice to begin an exercise routine because walking is well tolerated by most individuals regardless of fitness level and for most back conditions. Treadmills are functional, easy to use and when used correctly, provides an ideal way to burn calories, manage weight and strengthen/enhance your cardiovascular system.
The US department of health and human services recommends at least 150mins of of moderate intensity exercise per week. Treadmill walking accomplishes a similar workout to outdoor walking with some added physical and practical benefits:
- Musculoskeletal Strength And Tone: Walking regularly on a treadmill regularly helps you maintain a healthy musculoskeletal system which includes your muscles, bones, ligaments, tendons and joints
- Joint Flexibility:
- Moderate intensity exercise, such as walking on a treadmill instead of pavement has the added benefits of reducing the impact on your ankle, knee and hip joints. The shock-absorbing capacity allows you to walk with less stress on your joint than typically occurs with outdoor walking
- Cardiovascular Fitness:
- Treadmill walking can improve your cardiovascular fitness, strengthening your heart and potentially reducing your blood pressure. Regular walking with treadmill reduces your cholesterol level, lowering your risk for a heart attack and stroke
- Weight Management: Walking on a treadmill aids in weight management by burning excess calories and keeping your metabolic rate up.
- Convenience: Walking on a treadmill instead of outdoor avoids some of the drawbacks that may keep you from exercising regularly with a home treadmill, you cam enjoy the freedom of exercising anytime you wish. Treadmill gives a great cardiovascular workout and help improve heart health. Each time you step on a treadmill, you strengthen your heart and as your heart grows stronger, you lower your blood pressure, plus the act of running or walking helps to get the blood flowing, which reduces the stress on your heart. Treadmill also offer the option of careful monitoring of the heart rate and blood pressure for patients that are in poor health or have heart problems
In conclusion, using a treadmill for up to 30mins for five days in a week (i.e. 150mins/week) in a day can cause you to lose weight by burning calories. The more calories burned in your session on the treadmill, the greater chance you have of losing weight. The amount of calories burned varies widely depending on your gender, age and weight, and the level of intensity on the workout, such as the speed and incline.
Always see a doctor before you commence any form of exercise or fitness routine.